Sunday, August 03, 2008

Blah, Blah, Blah

I've had some trouble deciding what I want to write about lately. Actually I have had very little inspiration and when I do get inspired I can't seem to express myself very well.

There have been some spiritual issues, and these two blog posts spoke to me a bit on the subject. The first is written by our former pastor when we lived in Houston,
Sometimes (or, if for some reason you have to copy and paste the link, http://ubcsp.blogspot.com/2008/07/mrs.html). The second post is an excerpt from the book "Wide Open Spaces", written by Jim Palmer (no, not the baseball Jim Palmer!), My Year of Putting Away the Bible (or
http://www.divinenobodies.com/blog/?p=462). The book was very good. Some of you might want to check it out.

I've also been reading a book called "The Case for Religion" by Keith Ward. It is a very interesting book, but it is sometimes hard reading because the author is a scholar from Oxford and sometimes it is hard for me to follow his sentences that tend to feel "backwards" from the way they should be. As a result of reading this book, I am thinking I might see if I can audit a course in religion this semester if I can get approval in time.

In other news, my recently graduated daughter has gotten her first real job! And I can't even tell you what it is she will be doing. Well, I can tell you, but I don't yet understand it well enough to explain it! She is going to work for a non-profit agency and will be spending 20 hours a week working with
CASA volunteers and another 20 hours a week assisting with forensic interviews of children. I'm very excited for her and I think she will do very well in this position.

That is about all I have today.

3 comments:

  1. Your former pastor's post has the wheels in my own head spinning, Annie. I just posted on that frog puzzle of my own and a verse from the Sermon on the Mount opened up to me in a new way the other day and here I go again. I'm saving the link to your pastor and always enjoy my visits here. Congratulations to your daughter on the new job!....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the wheels in your head are spinning Jim! I thought it was a good post.

    Daughter is starting to get a bit nervous about everything--whether she really knows enough, what to wear, and so on. She's been waiting tables all through school and now she goes professional! I'm sure she will do well, and I am sure it is perfectly normal for her to be a bit nervous! She starts on the 18th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am posting this late, later....but gotta tell you Divine Nobodies is one of the best books i have read in a good long while and I read a boat load of them...I know you know that.
    I owe you big for the tip on that one!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!