Friday, July 08, 2011

Do What You Can...


This one started off with a dictionary page glued to watercolor paper and then painted with the little girl added as a transfer.The last layer was the text which was printed and stained with paint then glued on. I've been thinking I might go back and add a layer of machine stitching around the text paper. I've had trouble with these darker backgrounds trying to figure out how to make the text more readable.

The text says "Do what you can, suffer when you must, love and grow as you are able." Really, what else can we do?

I talked yesterday with someone who was complaining about a mother who was being pushy in trying to get help for her young son who has developmental issues. The mother was angry with the insurance company about not providing for certain services for her son. The mother was pushing on the office that was providing the services. The mother was suffering.

I wondered out loud whether or not the mother was struggling with letting go of the dreams and hopes she had for her son, just beginning to mourn all the things that would not be, and not yet "there" in terms of acceptance so that her battle to help her son was still a little awkward.

The mother is suffering. How does that old saying go, "suffering in inevitable, growth is optional"? I had these flowery thoughts that I hope she grows into her suffering and becomes a formidable advocate for her son. I do hope that happens (and I believe it will). But right now, today, my biggest prayer for her would be that bitterness does not touch her. Because sometimes, when you see suffering lying there on the table, and you start thinking of all the losses and the things that will not be, well at the beginning, you have no way of knowing the good that often comes from suffering. You see the suffering and the loss and you can't imagine that any kind of brightness could come from such loss. But so often, there is brightness. And there will be brightness here, too. She will see it if bitterness does not sneak in and cloud her eyes.

May she more often than not be met with patience and grace on her journey. And may she have more than a few friends along the way who are willing and able to hold the light for her and who are wise enough to gently remind her to "Do what you can, suffer when she must, and grow when you are able."

5 comments:

  1. I needed this so much today. Hard issues for me this week that I can't put into words. Thanks for doing it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And New Life Rises again... good post, Annie. <3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so wise to recognize the struggles that woman may be having. This was really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyn, thank you! You inspire me!

    Lorna, thank you! I hope to start spending a little more time reading blogs and yours is one of the ones I want to catch up on.

    Thanks, CaptainWow! (I sure do miss CaptainWow!)

    Thanks, Spooky! We really never know the burdens people around us are carrying, do we? I just know that even a small kindness can go a long way in those times.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!