Friday, October 28, 2011

Already, Part of My Biography


I haven’t read the little book yet, but already it is part of my biography. 

I honestly think part of the reason I am writing so much about all of this is that I want a record of the process. I think there may be times when my memory can’t be trusted but if I've left a few words here and there, maybe I will have a better understanding of what happened when I get to the other side. Of this particular trauma, I mean, not that other "other side"! Not yet, I suddenly hope!

I am in a place I have never been before. That alone is exciting, crazy as it sounds. I feel the need to act more Zennish and to focus only on what lies in my path right here, right now and to take one day at a time. When I told my spiritual director this, she asked how that felt. It feels like where I need to be, it feels like it's really true that "It's all grace." It feels like a pretty good place to be.

One huge thing that helps me to deal with this threat is the ability not to jump too far ahead, or when I have jumped there, the ability to bring myself back to what I am actually facing right now. And maybe also the ability to recognize the different ones in me and to understand where they are coming from when they are acting out, and then having the presence of mind to take care of whoever is the needy one at the moment.

There are also other parts of me who are having a field day with all this. The curious one and the writer one are in cahoots, observing how this is going to transpire and writing some of it down for future reference. What a fantastic opportunity! Who knows what I'll do with all this info but it pleases me to gather it.

In other news, I’ve gotten a majority of the things done that are on my list of “things to do before I go.” I wanted to call the list “things to do before I die” but I leave that paper lying loose on my desk and I didn’t want to upset anyone or make them worry about my sense of humor! So next week, I will finish up what remaining loose ends there are and I will go to the hospital to preregister.

In the meantime, I am trying to resist the urge to google about it. One of the things I read was this memorable quote and a veiled warning: "Sticking to a colon surgery diet can be difficult; however, not following the proper instructions can leave you feeling sick and in pain."

8 comments:

  1. I understand the urge to document. And you can find positives in bad things. I am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up on your blog - got prayers up for you and will be keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The joy that you're getting out of this process is so cool. I'm really enjoying reading about it. And I had to grin about leaving off "before I die" on the list.

    Gallows humor is some of the best there is.

    You rock!

    And that not-googling thing? Prolly smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying the gallows humor opportunities, Rach! Yeah, I think I will swear off doing google research on colon cancer! At least for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the documenting. And I am glad that you are allowing us to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad y'all are with me, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!