Sunday, October 06, 2013

Noticing Doodle Bugs and Mushrooms

I know, I missed Friday and Saturday. I was away from the internet, with my only connection being on my phone. I could have blogged but I didn't.

That does not mean I was not noticing things. I posted a video of a "doodlebug" at work on Facebook but I can't seem to save it to my computer to post here. The little bug swirled around in the sand like an ant. I could see sand being kicked up but never saw the bug that was doing all the kicking. Then I saw a small ant-like creature crawl into the hole and he kept sinking down and clawing his way back up but the unseen doodle bug finally pulled him under the sand.

I notice I am annoyed that I can't figure out how to post the video to my blog. It is an iPhone video and does not play well with Windows. Here is some information on them. I suppose they are officially known as Antlions.

I also noticed several different kinds of mushrooms this weekend. Here is a photo of one of the larger ones.


We were in our place in the country. The weather is starting to get a little cooler and it was very nice.

More later. 

(Perhaps this link will allow you to see the video. I am not sure it will work but it's worth a try.)

2 comments:

  1. Trying to remember if I've ever seen a "doodle bug", the term ringing a bell, but giving me no image. We are presently suffering a plague of "stink bugs" in this area, something that looks like an almost flat, armored pentagon (not sure how many sides it has) that they say smells quite rank if you happen to squash one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gross! We have stink bugs too! It is an unpleasant smell that seems to linger on...

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!