Wednesday, July 01, 2015

An Instrument of Grace

I checked out several (five) books about and by May Sarton when I took my longish weekend in the country. One of the perks of my job at the local university is that I can check out library books and can keep them for the whole semester! So I generally (mostly, ahem) don't have to worry about missing the return deadline!

I just finished reading Endgame, a journal of her 79th year. In that year she struggled with a lung that kept filling with fluid, a fibrillating heart and irritable bowel syndrome. Of course, she had my sympathies with the last problem! But she didn't want the journal to be all about her illnesses. In the end, it really wasn't. She wrote a lot about the support of friends and about having to learn to ask for and accept help, things I am somewhat acquainted with myself.

There were several quotes I gleaned from my reading. This was one of them I particularly liked...



3 comments:

  1. I love May Sarton and have a number of her books. She is such a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love May Sarton and have a number of her books. She is such a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardner's of the spirit. I like that. I also love what you created.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!