Thursday, September 08, 2016

Project Thoughtful Thursday, Week Two

(Apparently it's my season to ramble. Forgive me. I'll find my way eventually.)

Whoo hoo! Two weeks! I have a streak going!

I have my stack of cards and I've decided I'm not going to judge any card I choose, and I'm always going to go with the first one I pick. Also, some will be less legible than others. This is one of the less legible ones.

It's a quote from Lucille Ball, "It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy."

I'm a bit of a weirdo. Many times I have to first figure what does not make me happy, and then move on from there. In my current planner I have a list of "Small Things I Enjoy Doing (Calming, Diversionary, Self-Care Things)." Sometimes I look at the list for ideas on something to do if I'm restless or in a negative spiral. Other times the list serves as a reminder that joy can be found in small things. It's an intentional way to save me from too much self-pity, among other things.

So, there's the thought. Do you know the things that make you happy? Maybe later in the week, I'll post a list of things that make me happy. Then again, maybe not.

One thing that makes me happy is taking photos with my phone and manipulating them with various apps. I also like going out with my big camera. It's been a while since I've done that.


My feet are always with me. I take photos of them quite often.


It feels like it's been a while since I've had my own words to put on a photo. I don't know why. Maybe the words will return eventually.

I did a kind of listening meditation this afternoon, naming (in my head) various sounds I heard--

the humming of the air conditioner
the clearing of a throat
my right ankle creaking as I walked
my left ankle answering my right ankle
someone coughed, loudly
paper shuffled
the noise of weight being shifted in a desk

And then I named (in my head) various textures in the room--

heavy denim
silky athletic shorts
cool tile floor
scratchy tweed of the carpet
the tight sheen of yoga pants with a little too much booty in them
smooth table tops
rough brick
wiry hair
prickly stubble of a beard
plain flannel

The words and phrases conjure up images. 
I don't know why the images are not conjuring up words.

 
 Maybe I just need to dig a little deeper.

2 comments:

  1. I like your digging. I can see how that meditation would be calming. I like this card. Going to think about what makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!