Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina, Katrina

It is hard to fathom the sheer devastation of this hurricane. Two hundred miles away, we only had pleasantly breezy winds, a welcome and temporary respite from the heat. Yet now, just a few blocks away, down by the lake, our civic center houses people who are waiting to hear whether loved ones who stayed behind have survived. The Red Cross phone line to check for missing people will not even be working until Friday morning at 6:00 a.m. Can you imagine the agony those people are going through?

I have not talked to my friends who live on the East Bank in New Orleans. I hope they evacuated.


So many lives will never be the same.

5 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy to hear that you and yours are fine!!! It is horrifying to see what is happening in the storm-struck areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear you are safe. I just switched to cable, lost your link in the process, and had to search around to recover it. Not knowing exactly where you lived, other than Louisiana, made me nervous viewing the aftermath of this one. My sister lives outside Ft L'dale and it tore them up a bit as it crossed over, but not even close to what it brought with it through the Gulf.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still alright? Is there anything at all that we can do for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am okay. It is disheartening to see all the destruction. I appreciate all your concern.

    My friends did evacuate on Sunday. I don't know how their house will be when they get back.

    So many hurting people...

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!