Saturday, October 15, 2005

Home Again, Home Again

Saturday, October 1, 2005

The devastation has been sobering, but we are all so glad to be home.

And another shameful moment: The neighbors we considered nosy and a pain in the rear were the first ones to welcome us home. He came over with the chain saw to trim the leaves of the cedar tree so we could park the cars. She brought ice, water, Oreo cookies, and peanut butter (and apologized for not having bread to go with the peanut butter). He is still bossy and they are both persnickety, but once again I see where people who do not particularly identify themselves as Christians are sometimes capable of more kindness than some of us who claim to be top level Christians (I certainly don't consider myself a top level Christian, but there was a time when I had a certain amount of pride in my Christian self, but that is a whole 'nother post!).

They helped us trim low loose limbs from the oak tree, putting them to the road for pickup. That is when we managed to pull the darn phone line loose, losing my internet capability for when they get the electricity back on (sniff, sniff).

Sunday, October 2, 2005

Went to church and was reminded of the need (and benefit) to stop and remind ourselves of what God has done in the past when we face the momentary fear of wondering "what are we going to do" in circumstances like these.

On the one hand, all this destruction "shakes me up". Everytime I go out I see new damage. On the other hand I am getting used to it. It is slowly becoming my new "normal". I don't know if that is good or bad.

Monday, October 3, 2005

The people on the radio station (God bless 'em) have been laughing about how they have to put the day and date on the board each day to keep straight what day it is. I've had to do the same thing in my journal. The days all run together.

We went to get supplies (ice, water, and food boxes that contained Ravioli, Pringles, pudding and jiuce drinks). I am so grateful to the National Guard for doing this and for organizing things in such a way that the lines move quickly.

I was moved to tears earlier in the week when I made my way through the lines set up by The Convoy of Hope. The concern in their voices was palpable as they asked how we were doing. I don't know why, but I almost lost it when one young man asked me if I knew Jesus. What is that verse about how blessed are the feet of those who bring the good news? So many people have come in to help. And sometimes, it is so hard to accept help.

Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Parents' electricity back on! Did any of you hear me shout hallelujah? My son helped his sister get most of the stuff out of her apartment and into a storage building.

Thursday, October 6, 2005

Our electricity back on! Hallelujah!

I have been tempted several times to go out there and splice my phone line back together. Seems like all you'd have to do is match the colors and there are only four colors. How hard could it be?

The water has been declared safe to drink.

Friday, October 7, 2005

This was the official "come back home to stay" day if you had electricity and were self-sufficient.
Chewed off the rest of my Hurricane Rita fingernails. They were all breaking. They had gotten long enough for my youngest daughter to polish. I couldn't put my hands near my mouth when we had no electricity and could not bathe much. Biting my nails: a bad habit I ought to break.

Also lost a little weight due to the heat and walking and eating less when we were exiled in the country near Six Mile Creek, not far from Dido Community.

Sunday, October 9, 2005

I think my computer monitor up and died on me. I wonder if I can blame it on Rita?

Sunday's sermon quote: Contentment is not a grace that is given. Contentment is a discipline that must be learned.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The stores are still closing early because they do not have enough people to to work. Some employees are still out. Some are homeless. Some are still tied up trying to get their lives and homes put back together. Many apartments have been declared unlivable and people are getting notices that they have to get their stuff out.

We've got mail!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The three pestilences of Hurricane Rita (at least for us):

at B's-- Swarms of love bugs. They were supposed to be gone already!

at D&M's-- Yellow jackets. They bite! And they like to swim in Diet Coke, but they can't swim, so they drown, which is thoroughly disgusting to me. Besides, you don't want to take a chance on swallowing them and then being bitten on the tongue (that's not a grammatically correct sentence, is it?).

at home-- Mosquitoes, though they have done an excellent job of getting rid of a lot of them.

Friday, October 14, 2005

School will begin again (finally) on October 25th. The school days will be extended to make up for lost time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to say something serious........which is a new twist for me.....however having grown up in Florida and having gone through four storms last year, I will say that there is no normal, not for a very long time. And that it is o.k. for it to be that way, because it has to be. And it takes a long time for storm paranoia to go away (says she as she stares at Wilma looming on the radar image). Good quote on contentment.........I am glad that you have your home, your family intact and your sense of humor....and hopefully soon a dang phone line!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just wow.

    You seem to be handling everything so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's great to have a neighbor who understands. Come see me and we can laugh together.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!