Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Encapsulating 2010, Naming 2011

You know, there are all kinds of things out there to help people post regularly on their blogs, projects to do and prompts to inspire. Reverb 10 is one of those things. It happens all during the month of December. Every day there is a different prompt to write about that helps you review 2010 and look forward to 2011. I think this might be just the thing for me. I'm going to TRY to participate on a regular basis.

This is the very first prompt:
December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)
I think I have to say that my one word to encapsulate 2010 would be reversal. My son had a reversal and was going downhill at the beginning of this year. He has now experienced another reversal and seems to be getting himself back on track.

I had a reversal in dealing with the stress of his fall, and have now experience another reversal where I have had a good talk with myself about separating me from my son. It's not always an easy thing for me to do.

My oldest daughter had a reversal and went back to school for a teaching certificate so she could possibly find a real job after being in school for so long. Don't know yet how that is going to work out. The economy of course had its own reversal and as everybody knows, that has affected the job market for this latest crop of graduates.

Last year at this time, I was managing my eating habits very well and losing weight. I have since had a reversal and have gained several pounds and am not doing well at all at managing my eating habits. I'm not exercising like I should be either. I hope to reverse that trend and get back on track, but this is a horrible time of year to have to do that!

A year from now, I'd like to be able to encapsulate 2011 with the word lagniappe. It's a Cajun French word that means "a little something extra". I often feel on the edge of the pit in so many ways and sometimes I feel like there is just not "enough" for me. I'm not greedy. I don't want a lot, just a little extra space between me and the edge of the pit.

The thought occurs to me that if I will stretch myself and give a little extra effort, a little extra attention, just a little extra discipline to the problem areas of my life (and to the undeveloped areas), I will have lagniappe in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there staring, say something!