Saturday, June 02, 2012

Wherein She Talks to Herself...

Fear inhibits creativity, especially the fear of being judged. But personal conviction is the great vanquisher of fear. When I feel afraid of potential criticism, or wounded when it comes, I ask myself: Do you really believe in what you said or wrote – in the thing that’s bringing criticism? And if I do believe it, I can withstand anything. Not that criticism doesn’t sting – sometimes I feel punched in the stomach momentarily. But the moment does pass. Susan Cain (as seen on Brene`Brown's blog)
This is a quote from Susan Cain, who wrote Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Her quote is something I need to remember not only with my creative endeavors, but with my life as well. Also, I took the introvert test and aced it. I think I might need to read the book!

I watched the TED talk she did about her book. Toward the end of her speech she mentioned the concept of the things we carry in our suitcases. She said this to the introverts:
"But introverts, you being you, you probably have the impulse to guard very carefully what's inside your own suitcase. And that's okay. But occasionally, just occasionally, I hope you will open up your suitcases for other people to see, because the world needs you and it needs the things you carry."
Lately there have been times when I have wondered to myself, "Why the heck am I writing this blog? What is the purpose behind it all?" As an introvert I am extremely guarded about the contents of my suitcase. Recent experiences in my life have caused and helped me to be more open about what is in my suitcase. I think that is a good thing for me. This blog is another place for me to learn how to share some of the things I carry.

Maybe eventually, with practice, I will get back to being able to share more of the things I carry with people in my face to face life. There are things that have made me more cautious than I need to be in this area, one of them being fear of being judged.

I know that the "message" I have been receiving lately, from several sources is that fear is debilitating and risks are sometimes necessary in life.

It seems I've gotten a little too comfortable being here:


But still, having said that, I feel to compelled to remind everyone (myself mostly) of the storms I have weathered. I'm still not ready to go diving into the deep end. I am only thinking about dipping my pretty pink toes into the shallow section of the creek!

7 comments:

  1. No need to dive in... dabbling is fine. It's all progress, and we can only do as much as we dare.

    <3
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Ezekiel 47, Annie, the prophet is led forth by God into deep water, God Himself measuring each new distance to yet be covered. We are told each time: "He" brought me through the waters and then "He" caused me to return to the brink of the river. One step at a time, our hand in His, this is all He asks of us. Scuba diving will eventually occur, but only if He is both your oxygen and your anchor-line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perhaps because you ARE introverted is precisely why you are blogging. You're comfortable at home, in your element, behind the screen. Just like me! I read that book and really, really enjoyed it, especially feeling more validated and "normal" in who I am. I have always thought I was just "weird." I'm much more comfortable telling on the computer than I am in person, so blogging is a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really thought of it that way, Jessica! That is a more positive way to see things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is difficult to share face to face. You can see what the other person is thinking - or what you think they are thinking, and it makes one want to back out again, go over there and talk about nothing important, pretend one had nothing deep in mind to share. If one wants to share, that's alright. If one doesn't, that's alright, too.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!